Ah, for the 'good old days' when Salmonella was an occasional problem with eggs and egg products. Yes, there was a time when 'steak tartare' and 'raw egg health drinks' were in vogue and relatively safe to eat--BUT NO MORE!
Please note this reptile food warning below. The implication for us is realizing just how widespread Salmonella contamination of our poulty food stock really is.
Don't be scared, just be careful, with you and your pets!
For you in Christ,
Rev. Barbara Sexton
"The Biblical Biochemist-Where Science Meets the Cross"
FDA warns of Salmonella risk from frozen rodents fed to reptilesThe U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning U.S. and international customers who may have purchased frozen mice from Biggers and Callaham LLC, doing business as MiceDirect, that these products, which are used as food for reptiles, have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella...
The FDA is actively investigating positive Salmonella findings in frozen mice and environmental samples taken at the company’s Cleveland, Ga. plant. After it was informed of the positive samples, Biggers and Callaham voluntarily recalled all frozen mice, rats and chicks purchased between May 2009 and July 23, 2010. The frozen reptile feed was distributed in all states, except Hawaii, through pet stores and by mail order and direct delivery.
On Aug. 2, 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that 34 human illnesses in 17 states were associated with handling frozen rodents used for reptile food sourced from Biggers and Callaham. In general, snakes and other reptiles can harbor many strains of Salmonella for several years, but still appear healthy.
Frozen reptile feed was shipped in plastic bags with the following product codes M-SP100, M-P100, M-PF100, M-F100, M-H100, M-W50, M-A50, M-JA25, R-P100, R-F50, R-PUP50, R-W50, R-S50, R-M20, R-L10,R-J5, R-C5, R-M3 followed by E9, F9, G9, H9, I9, J9, K9, L9 or A10, B10, C10, D10, E10, F10, G10 and whole frozen chicks in 25 count bags.
The FDA advises customers with the contaminated product to place it in a sealed container in the trash so that no children, pets, or other animals, such as wildlife, may be able to reach it.