Not long ago, I alerted you to the plethora of Salmonella-laden MICE and CHICKS intended as food for reptiles. I alerted you to the important implications that (and all similar Salmonella outbreaks in any animal species) has for HUMAN food and food products...and for all of us.
Recent news indicates that there is a major recall of chicken EGGS due to gross Salmonella contamination. Wright County Egg of Galt, Iowa conducted a nationwide voluntary recall of shell eggs. LINK: http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/enteritidis/ Some 228 million eggs have been recalled due to this recent Salmonella recall and an ongoing investigation is being coordinated by the FDA, CDC, State and Local Depts. of Agriculture and others via an entity known as PulseNet.
Be assured that although California, Colorado and Minnesota are mentioned, other states must be on alert as well. Chicken 'farmers' get their 'stock eggs and birds' from MAJOR suppliers and no doubt these distributors are being investigated by the various agencies, too. The eggs were distributed around the country and packaged under the names Lucerne, Albertson, Mountain Dairy, Ralph's, Boomsma's, Sunshine, Hillandale, Trafficanda, Farm Fresh, Shoreland, Lund, Dutch Farms and Kemp.
But don't be fooled by the numbers, for not all cases have been reported.
Believe it or not, just as 'humans' can be identified by their DNA, so can eggs and egg-products be identified. Epidemiologists use this technique to determine the source of and spread of various food-borne infectious agents...a kind of 'CSI' for pathogens.
An overall perspective for the month of August 2010 can be found at the link below:
The breaking news reads as:
"Salmonella Enteritidis Outbreak in Shell Eggs
FDA is collaborating with Federal and state partners to investigate a nationwide increase of Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) infections. Partners include the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and state public health and agriculture officials. Joint FDA/CDC field investigation teams are working to identify potential sources of SE infection in shell eggs."
And here is where you can read more:
The usual number of EGGS causing Salmonella illness is up a full FOUR-FOLD for a few months now in certain regions. This means that we need to be careful with what we eat!
Since May 2010, CDC has identified a nationwide, four-fold increase in the number of SE isolates through PulseNet, the national sub typing network made up of state and local public health laboratories and federal food regulatory laboratories. CDC received reports of approximately 200 SE cases every week during late June and early July. Normally, CDC has received an average of some 50 reports of SE illness each week for the past five years. Many states have also reported increases of this pattern since May 2010.
LINK: (SAME AS ABOVE) http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm222684.htm
Reverend Barb's advice for YOU!:
- ADVOCATE FOR HUMANE POULTRY FARMING and persuade producers to treat their birds well, which by definition means caring for their health and well-being, thus producing a better product for YOU!
- ONLY BUY EGGS FROM PRODUCERS WHO ENGAGE IN SUCH HUMANE POULTRY FARMING.
- EXPECT TO PAY A BIT EXTRA FOR THE ABOVE...Well worth it if you value the health of yourself and your families, as well as the health and well-being of God's creatures.
- INSPECT YOUR EGGS. Any that are cracked, chipped, broken, off-color or look or smell odd should be placed in a small plastic bag and discarded in the trash. Do NOT feed suspect eggs to 'pets' or wildlife. Do NOT COMPOST suspect eggs. Salmonella thrives in such an environment. If you know for certain that you have infected eggs, follow the instructions here: http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/enteritidis/
- CHECK here frequently for Salmonella updates and request my FREE NEWSLETTER in order to get the latest in significant health-related news: mail request to: BarbaraKSexton@aol.com
- CHECK these LINKS yourself to stay up-to-date: http://www.fda.gov/ www.cdc.gov http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/baildon-hartford/
Reverend Barbara Sexton
"The Biblical Biochemist-Where Science Meets the Cross"